Friday, December 21, 2012

Post-surgery!


I’m back! It’s been a week and 2 days till I had surgery. It’s taken me such a long time to post because I have been so tired and it takes a lot of energy for me to focus! But here’s the basic run down of what’s been happening: the day of surgery we got to the hospital at 6 am for my 8:15 am surgery. The surgery lasted 10 HOURS!!!  Yes this is not a typo 10 hours. The doctor said it took longer because I had so much muscle!
After surgery my parents and sister were able to come in and see me. They said my face and lips were so swollen it was crazy, but the doctors said that’s normal and by the next day my lips and face were back to normal. I spent the first night in the ICU before I moved to a normal recovery room. This was standard for a surgery to this extent so they can keep a closer eye on me. My mom stayed with me the first night which was nice even though I was pretty out of it. The next day I moved out of the ICU and to a normal recovery room. I stayed there until Monday when I was discharged.
The first day post-surgery, I worked with the physical therapist and an occupational therapist to work on getting up and moving. That first day, I was able to stand! And on the second day post-surgery I was able to walk around the hospital with a walker! By the time I was discharged I was able to walk around without a walker and walk up and down stairs!
The last day I was at the hospital, I was fitted and given my brace. They weren't expecting for me to wear a brace but, because my muscle was so thick and I’m at a certain age, the doctor thought it would be best to have me wear a brace. I was not too excited about the idea but now that I have it I’m glad because it definitely helps a lot.

1 comment: