Tuesday, December 4, 2012

First Post!

Hey everybody!
This is my first post ever! So I decided to start this blog to keep family and friends updated on my upcoming surgery but, for those of you who don’t know me let me explain. I have been diagnosed with idiopathic scoliosis. Being a competitive gymnast, it has been a tough decision to stop competing and undergo scoliosis surgery. For those of you who do not know what scoliosis is, it is where your spine curves from side to side, so instead of having a straight spine like the average person, my spine is curved. There are two types of curves a “C” curve which has one curve in the spine and looks like a “C” hence why it’s called a “C” curve. The other type is an “S” curve which has two curves in the spine and looks like an “S” hence the reason it is called an “S” curve. I have an “S” curve. My curves are mainly thoracic meaning it is in the middle of my back. In the summer my curves were measured at 77 degrees and 59 degrees.

So one of the biggest reasons outsiders ask is why would it be so tough to undergo surgery. This is why:

I started taking mommy and me gymnastics classes when I was two years old. Ever since then gymnastics has been my passion in life. I practice 5 days a week for 4 hours a day. If you know any competitive gymnast out there, you probably know it is their life as it has been mine for the past 18 years. During the 8 years leading up to college, I was part of a club gym where I spent most of my time with my teammates and my amazing coach. During junior year in HS, I made a verbal commitment to a college where I would be able to compete gymnastics. This was my biggest dream in life and was blessed I was given the opportunity. Even though I was unable to compete all four years in college, I am so thankful for the opportunity I was given. There is no greater feeling than being part of a team who supports you through thick and thin. I am so lucky that I am able to continue working with this amazing team. Over these past three years, these girls have become family to me and I am so appreciative of them.

Now that I am 20 years old, I have officially retired from the only thing I have ever known. This blog will follow me through this new adventures in life where I will being undergoing surgery and redirecting my passion in life whether it is coaching gymnastics, learning new hobbies, or just figuring out what lies ahead.

There are far, far better thing ahead than any we leave behind- C.S. Lewis

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a tough decision you have made. I am your mom's cousin, Lee Ann (Hodge) Snyder. I can't remember when the last time I saw you. You were probably a small child. I knew your mom had scoliosis as I do. I have a 36 degree curve on the top and a 26 degree curve on the bottom. I wore a Milwaukee brace for 5 years in middle & high school. They wanted to do surgery but we consulted other doctors and they said it wasn't bad enough and the surgery would get better with research. I have been blessed that if has never gotten worse. Now just dealing with disc issue and the normal pain it has always caused. With that bad of a curve I would think you are in some pain and it needs to stop progressing. Good Luck and I will pray for you. So glad you are blessed with great parents, friends, and family to help you through.
    Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete